Monday, November 26, 2012

DIY miniature felt satchel bag


With Advent and Christmas holidays coming soon, we might need some little gifts and favors for the kids - or for the inner kid that lives in every crafter/miniaturist.  : )
There are probably some cooler satchel tutorials out there, but I really wanted to keep this one as simple as possible. The whole project won't take more than half an hour, therefore being a quick, easy way to create a mini gift for someone you love (dolls included, of course!).

I had a lot of fun with this, and I hope you will enjoy it too! : )

You will need:

- some colorful felt
- a scrap of soft leather 
- needle, thread, scissors
- 4 tiny metal rings
- a soft teddy willing to model for you bag   ; P

The leather is optional, since you can cut the strings out of fabric or felt, but I think it adds a nice touch to the bag. : )


Step one: cut out a rectangle from felt, and cut of a couple angles to make them round. The size is up to you, but it is important that the shorter side measures a half of the longer one - in my case, 10 cm and 5 cm (or 4 inches and 2 inches). Cut out two smaller pieces (they will be the two sides of the bag), each one long more or less a third of the height of the rectangle.



I chose a bright shade of salmon pink, since I much like colorful bags, but of course the choice is yours! : )
Overlap one of the small pieces to a sharp angle of the bigger rectangle, and start sewing them together.


Keep following the borders, and of course leave the top open. Cut the thread.


Repeat on the other side.


Ok, now your bag shoud look like this.



Optional: you can embroider along the border to add a nice pattern to the bag. Or you can just jump to the next step (I am terrible at embroidering, I know).


Cut out two thin strips of leather to make the strings of the bag. Just make sure that they are thin enought to fit into the tiny rings.


Fix the strings to the bag. Lenght and position of the strings are completely up to you, depending on which style you prefer.


Fix two of the metal rings to the satchel. Be careful, they need to match quite exactly the position of the strings!


We're almost done here. Just cut out a long leather strip..


..and fix a ring at each end.


Last step: fix the rings to the two sides of the bag - you might want to stitch them rather firmly, since the strap needs to be resistant, right?


And that's it! A cute, tiny satchel for your (or your kids') doll. Ain't it lovely? : )
It also works as a nice way to hold a romantic love message!


Ps: 4 days to the Advent Countdown on MIjbil Creatures! : ) 
One post a day up to Christmas time.. don't miss it, it's going to be awesome! ; )

46 comments:

  1. Hell oMijbil,
    Great project. you make it look very easy and your finished piece is lovely.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually super easy, I'm not that much of an expert sewer! :P

      Delete
  2. Wat een leuke tas heeft het beertje nu.

    Groeten Xandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really love the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also engaged! I’m sure you had joy writing this article.valentines teddy bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful satchel. Thank you very much for the tutorial You explained it very well. I will try this for sure.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello mijbil, thank you so much for this lovely tutorial, it is very generous of you. The satchel looks wonderful :D!! love the colors.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Ilona! :)

      Delete
  6. che carina!!Grazie per il tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. di nulla, è davvero semplicissima da fare!

      Delete
  7. Me gusta mucho la mochila!
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Mijbil! Thank you so much for sharing with us!
    Ina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Ina! :)

      Delete
  9. Un precioso trabajo, gracias por compartir.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful work!
    I love it! So cute!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Your creations and your blog are very nice: I'll follow you!
    Thank you for your comment on my blog! Your Italian is perfect... do you speak it???
    Kisses and have a good evening!
    Monique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually Italian :)
      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  12. Um ótimo trabalho, muito obrigada por compartilhar. Muitos beijos em teu coração.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oddio che meraviglia!!!!
    e grazie per essere passata....anche io adoro il trentino!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, your bear and the bag are wonderful!!!Your blog is so cute. Thank you very much for your stopping by over my blog.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi!!!
    I love the bag! It's really so cute!
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial!
    Hugs,
    Mariana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. e' davvero una meraviglia ..... complimenti!!!!!!! Grazie per essere passata nel mio blog..... ho dato uno sguardo ad alcune tue creazioni......sei veramente bravissima! Ti seguirò sicuramente! Mi sono iscritta subito!
    A presto con tante nuove creazioni!
    Rossy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your comment on my blog A fairytale come true. I like to see your tutorials on how to sew a bag. Great patience work I see. You have many calendar gifts!
    See you soon
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bag (and the bear) is so cute! I want a full-size version! haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Meravigliosa questa mini bag! Brava brava!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How perfectly cute!!! I thought of my friend Glenys when I saw it and went to her blog to tell her about you and found you are already friends!
    Thank you for the photo storage advice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I hope it worked! :)

      Delete
  21. You little creations are so cute!!! I will definitely check out your Etsy Shop. Do you ship to the US?

    I got a BIG smile on my face when I saw your comment today on my blog! I love it that you are adding Italian flavor to Sweden! What is the story behind your moving there?

    Have a delightfully creative day!
    Karen
    Idaho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just following my bf who works here as a researcher :)
      Big big hugs!

      Delete
  22. What a wonderful little bag. Tiny things have a fascination all their own don't they? Thanks for your recent comment on my blog, hope you will return in the future.

    I'm off to look through your archives to see what your blog is all about.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so cute! Aunty Bliss told me about your cute bag.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for this tutorial! I made a little blue satchel, and it came out wonderfully! Your instructions were excellent!

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear this! :) Any chance I can see a pic?

      Delete
  25. ciao Mijbi!!!
    Sono venuta a vedere il tuo "mondo" e devo dire che mi piacciono molto le tue miniature ma anche questo tutorial di cucito creativo l'ho trovato carinissimo!
    COMPLIMENTI e a presto =)
    Un abbraccio!
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow,that looked hard but u made it so simple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very lovely.Gonna try it soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Will enlarge slightly and use for American Girl accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an ADORABLE idea! Cooing so much right now!

    ReplyDelete