Sunday, December 2, 2012

DIY: gold dipped deer antlers


Hi lovelies, and thank you so much for your amazing support! : )

I was in town yesterday, and I can't describe with words all of the magic of Northern Christmas. So many lights everywhere, and the smell of pine garlands, roasted almonds and fresh snow.  I woke up with a thin, shiny layer of snow covering the garden, and I started the day with a big cup of hot chocolate while looking at the snowy pines in the garden. : )
And now all is white outside, and it's snowing more and more!

Could there be a better frame to introduce a woodland inspired little project?
The fascinating pattern of deer antlers popped out pretty much everywhere during the last few months. Jewelry, clothing, illustration, ceramics.. cute little antlers showed up on the widest range of objects, with their old-fashioned and yet so modern looking design. So, why not to combine them with another seasonal trend - gold dipping - in order to obtain the coolest decoration for our Christmas gifts?

The gold dipped antlers in this tutorial are very quick and easy to make, extremely unexpensive and fabulous looking over a golden gift wrap. Do you want to give it a try? : )


You will need:
- some white clay (air drying clay will spare you the baking process)
- gold acrylic paint
- a toothpic (see? easy as that! )

Start from a chubby clay sausage.  : )

Pinch it close to an end, in order to obtain two little horns.

If you're going for a completee set of antlers, repeat at the other end - the single antler is nice too, anyway.

Keep pinching along the "sausage" to add more horns (this will also make your antlers thinner and thinner) until you are satisfied with its look.

- for the complete antlers: gently bend them in the middle, to obtain the natural curved appearence of deer horns.

- for a single antler: you will need a tiny hole for the ribbon to pass through. Just use a toothpick close to the end of your antler. No hole is needed for the other version.

Let it dry (or bake according to the clay instructions) and paint (or dip) it gold! : )
(You might want to add a couple more layers of paint to get a shinier effect).

And that's it! Ready to enjoy your handmade antlers? : )
I think they look great over white or gold wrapping paper. Just add a thin satin ribbon and maybe a little stick of dried wood, or a tiny golden bell, for a sparkling touch.
Hope you liked this simple tutorial! I am not really a great photographer, but I swear these little decoration are really snappy in person! : )
Wish you all a great Sunday.
big snowy Swedish hugs,
Mijbil








 

18 comments:

  1. Wat een prachtig versierd cadeautje is het geworden met dat gouden gewei. Het is bijna te mooi om uit te pakken.

    Groeten Xandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful tutorial for the coming time, thank you for sharing!! I love snow too, I am a winter child ;)!! The parcel looks great, the snowy tree with the ochre berries too, a great picture.
    Have a nice sunday and week. Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ilona, and thumbs up for wintertime! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Mijbil for this wonderful tutorial. Its a beautiful parcel and I love the view outside your window.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora, it's so beautiful here right now!

      Delete
  4. ¡Qué maravilla de presentación en su regalo! me encanta, queda finísimo y muy original, feliz domingo:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this nice tutorial:)The present looks so cute:)
    Lots of kisses, Candy:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Es una idea hermosa y original, gracias por compartirla.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for this lovely tutorial. The antlers look wonderful on the parcel. I love the snowy picture.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a wonderful tutorial mijbil :) I just started following your blog when you left such a lovely comment on my blog! I feel like I have not been giving all my followers the loving care I usually do because of the stress in my own life right now. I would like to be a part of your giveaway that ends on Dec 5th. I'll post it on the sidebar of my blog, ok? I am planning to have a giveaway of my own eventually. But I won't do what some have done and say, when I reach 100 followers or 200 followers I will have a giveaway because I have a lot on my plate right now!
    Hugs and Kisses,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely message, Ruth. I will include you for sure, and I hope you can find the time to run your own soon! :) Take care and good luck!

      Delete
  9. Mijbil, thank you for sharing with us your beautiful ideas!:)

    ReplyDelete