Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Mushroom Munny


You have already seen his back here, and now here he is, 
my latest Munny custom! : )

I call him the Mushroom Munny because of the red "fungi" on his head. :D
He is a 4 inch vinyl toy, customized with polymer clay and acrylics. 

I don't consider myself as an artist, and all of my creations are usually the result of a long series of attempts and corrections rather than a sudden inspiration. But this case was different. 
I was laying in bed on a lazy Sunday afternoon, and the idea for this little guy came to my mind all of a sudden. I had to get up and take my brushes, and a few minutes later this quick sketch was born.

As you can see, I added some extra mushrooms and a chevron necklace in the process, but the basic idea was already there. : )

From a technical point of view, this project was rather challenging, and not only because of the long and delicate appendices on the head.
I decided that I wanted to cover the inner part of the "fungi" in metal powder, instead than just painting them with golden acrylics. Metal powders are a bit tricky to use - and a bit expensive too - but I love their smooth and shiny texture. 
They melt into clay at 150 °C (300 °F), s how to use them on a vinyl object, that easily melts or burn at much lower temperatures?
 A few attempts (and a lot of tin foil) were needed, but in the end I managed to make it work. And of course I had to cover all of the golden parts in tape before priming, but in the end, once again, the result was worth the effort.

So please welcome my little Mushroom spirit, his fungi and his tiny necklace! : )

UPDATE: now available for adoption here









Ps: and here's a few quick shots of my beloved boyfriend (and one of his plushies too). 
Isn't he cute? ^__^




5 comments:

  1. They are so cute!!! :)
    Hugs, Candy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new munny he is so cute. So is the boyfriend ;)
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mijbil,
    You both amke a beautiful couple! I love his hair. Little Muchroom is terrific! You create such beautiful unique characters.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. You know you are an artist when you create your own custom things.. I love your mushroom munny.. :)

    ReplyDelete